Chester, NJ - June 19, 2023 - Robert Edward Auctions (“REA”), the premier auction house specializing in sports memorabilia and trading cards in the US, wrapped up its June Encore Auction on Sunday which brought in more than $1.25 million in sales, the third consecutive Encore Auction that exceeded that figure. The event had more than 3,700 items and generated in excess of 70,500 bids, making it one of the largest and most active Encore Auctions in REA’s history. The top seller was a 1909-1911 T206 White Border Bill O'Hara St. Louis Variation SGC VG/EX+ 55 that sold for $29,400, a new record for the grade.
The auction also set several other new records that included:
- 1951 Bowman #253 Mickey Mantle Rookie PSA VG 3 - $23,400, a record for the grade
- 1909 E95 Philadelphia Caramel Honus Wagner PSA GOOD 2 - $14,400, a record for the grade and the third highest recorded auction sale for that card in a PSA grade
- 1915 E145 Cracker Jack #57 Walter Johnson PSA GOOD 2 - $11,700, a record for the grade
Other top sellers in REA’s June Encore Auction included:
- 1933 R319 Goudey #149 Babe Ruth SGC FAIR 1.5 - $11,700
- 1934 R320 Goudey #61 Lou Gehrig SGC EX 5 - $10,200
- 1941 R336 Play Ball Uncut Strip (8 Cards) Including Two Joe DiMaggio, Two Bill Dickey, and Two Lefty Gomez - $6,000
- 2005-2006 Upper Deck Hockey #443 Alexander Ovechkin Rookie PSA GEM MINT 10 - $4,680
- 1935 Muratti Cigarettes #49 Jesse Owens Rookie SGC VG 3 - $3,600
- 1986-1987 Fleer Basketball #57 Michael Jordan Rookie PSA EX-MT 6 - $3,480
In addition to the 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #149 that sold for $11,700, the auction featured examples of the Great Bambino’s three other 1933 Goudey cards in collectors grades that went for very respectable prices:
- 1933 R319 Goudey #53 Babe Ruth SGC FAIR 1.5 - $8,100
- 1933 R319 Goudey #144 Babe Ruth SGC POOR 1 - $5,880
- 1933 R319 Goudey #181 Babe Ruth SGC POOR 1 - $4,560
“This auction epitomized optionality because we were able to offer our bidders not only rare vintage cards in high and mid-grades but also an opportunity to bolster their collections with iconic cards in collector grades, such as the Ruth Goudeys and a range of other modern and historic cards,” said Brian Dwyer, President of REA. “Following the success of our first five auctions of the year, we’re now looking forward to our loaded Summer Catalog Auction, which is always one of our most exciting events.”
REA will be at The National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont, Illinois, between July 26-30 in booth #327 (in the corporate pavilion) and will be working with longtime Hall of Fame artist Dick Perez. Stop by to meet the man responsible for the iconic Donruss Diamond King card series and learn about the upcoming documentary The Diamond King.
REA’s next event will be its blockbuster Summer Catalog Auction that runs from July 24 to August 13. If you’d like to receive a catalog, please email [email protected]. You can review the rest of REA’s 2023 auction schedule and read some interesting consignor stories from previous and upcoming REA auctions.
About Robert Edward Auctions
Robert Edward Auctions (REA) is one of the leading auction houses in the US specializing in sports and non-sports cards and memorabilia. For more than 30 years, REA has established a reputation as the industry benchmark through its unparalleled and unwavering commitment to integrity, knowledge and transparency. The Company has brokered some of the most lucrative sales and handled some of the most coveted pieces of sports memorabilia in the hobby’s history, including the record-setting sale of the extremely desirable T206 Honus Wagner card for $6.6 million in August 2021. For more information, visit https://robertedwardauctions.com/ and follow REA on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter. You can also contact us and request our auction catalog by emailing [email protected].
M: (973) 255-7153