Auction headlined by 1952 Topps Mantle selling for $336K
Chester, NJ - December 5, 2022 - Robert Edward Auctions (“REA”), the premier auction house specializing in rare baseball cards and sports memorabilia in the US, completed its Fall 2022 Auction with total bidding exceeding $13 million, including ten items surpassing the $100K bidding mark and a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA NM 7 card selling for $336K. The auction, which ran from November 17 through December 4, featured nearly 3,400 lots and an assortment of rare sports cards, unopened material, game-used memorabilia, and signed collectibles.
Here are some of the most notable items that sold at REA’s Fall Auction:
- 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle PSA NM 7 ($336,000)
- 1954 Topps #94 Ernie Banks Rookie PSA MINT 9 ($198,000)
- 1939 Ted Williams’ Boston Red Sox Rookie Contract ($192,000)
- 1955 Topps #164 Roberto Clemente Rookie PSA NM-MT+ 8.5 ($174,000)
- 1964 Hank Aaron Milwaukee Braves Game-Used Road Jersey ($168,000)
- 1934 R320 Goudey #61 Lou Gehrig PSA NM-MT 8 ($150,000)
- 1948-49 Leaf #79 Jackie Robinson Rookie PSA NM 7 ($138,000)
- 1986-87 Fleer Basketball Unopened Wax Box (36 Packs) BBCE - Michael Jordan Rookie Year ($102,000)
- 1955 Topps #123 Sandy Koufax Rookie PSA NM-MT+ 8.5 ($102,000)
- 1968 Topps 3-D Roberto Clemente PSA GEM MINT 10 Rare “Experimental XOGRAPH” Ink Stamp on Reverse ($102,000)
- 1927 “Babe Comes Home” Movie Window Card Featuring Babe Ruth ($72,000)
- 1976 Topps Football #148 Walter Payton Rookie PSA GEM MINT 10 ($63,000)
“The results of our Fall Auction were emblematic of the way the industry is expanding,” said Brian Dwyer, President of REA. “We’ve seen substantial growth in the trading card and sports memorabilia market throughout the year, particularly among pre-war baseball cards and unopened box sets. We’re very pleased with the turnout of our final auction of the year and have a very optimistic outlook for 2023.”
REA’s upcoming auction schedule is as follows:
- January Encore Auction - January 12-22
- February Encore Auction - February 9-19
- March Encore Auction - March 9-19
- Spring Catalog Auction - April 6-23 (deadline to consign in REA’s Spring Catalog Auction is February 1, 2023)
To consign in one of REA’s upcoming auctions, please contact [email protected]. You can also review REA’s auction archive.
About Robert Edward Auctions
Robert Edward Auctions (REA) is one of the leading auction houses in the US specializing in sports and non-sports cards and memorabilia. For more than 30 years, REA has established a reputation as the industry benchmark through its unparalleled and unwavering commitment to integrity, knowledge and transparency. The Company has brokered some of the most lucrative sales and handled some of the most coveted pieces of sports memorabilia in the hobby’s history, including the sale of the extremely rare T206 Honus Wagner card for $6.6 million in August 2021. For more information, visit https://robertedwardauctions.com/ and follow REA on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter. You can also contact us and request our auction catalog by emailing [email protected].