Chester, NJ - May 22, 2023 - Robert Edward Auctions concluded its May Encore Auction on Sunday night, highlighted by a 1941 R336 Play Ball #71 Joe DiMaggio SGC NM/MT 8 that set a new SGC record for the grade by selling for $90,000. The event also set a new record for the 1933 R319 Goudey #181 Babe Ruth in the grade of EX+ 5.5 (PSA or SGC), selling for $34,800. REA’s May Auction set multiple other records, highlighted by:
- Highest price ever realized publicly for the 1912 T207 Brown Background Walter Johnson PSA GOOD+ 2.5 that sold for $7,800, shattering the previous record by a factor of ten!
- A 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams PSA GOOD 2 set a new record for the grade (PSA or SGC) selling for $6,900
- A 1967-1968 Topps Hockey #92 Bobby Orr SGC MINT 9 (highest graded example) set a new record for the SGC grade selling for $5,520
A group of four low population cards from the 1953 Topps set each graded PSA MINT 9 also combined to sell for $19,560. The group included #3 George Crowe, #188 Andy Carey, #218 Les Fusselman, and #51 Frank Campos.
The May Auction tallied a total of $1.525 million across more than 4,000 items and generated more than 72,800 bids. It was also the highest tally of bidders in an REA Encore auction.
The top sellers in REA’s May Auction included:
- 1933 R319 Goudey #53 Babe Ruth SGC EX 5 - $49,200
- 1933 R319 Goudey #92 Lou Gehrig SGC NM 7 - $36,000
- 1996-1997 Topps Chrome Basketball Factory Sealed Unopened Box (20 Packs) - Kobe Bryant Rookie Year - $19,800
- 1909-1911 T206 White Border Ty Cobb Portrait Green Background PSA GOOD 2 - Old Mill Back - $18,000
- 1933 R319 Goudey #92 Lou Gehrig PSA EX 5 - $16,800
- 1909-1911 T206 White Border Hooks Wiltse Portrait with Cap PSA VG 3 (Extremely Rare Brown Lenox Back) - $15,000
- 1948-1949 Leaf #79 Jackie Robinson Rookie PSA GOOD 2 - $9,900
- 1909-1911 T206 White Border Walter Johnson Hands at Chest PSA EX-MT 6 - $8,100
- 1888 N28 Allen & Ginter Mike "King" Kelly PSA VG 3 - $5,040
- 2005-2006 Upper Deck Hockey #443 Alexander Ovechkin Rookie PSA GEM MINT 10 - $4,440
“Reviewing the activity in this auction as well as the prices realized, which were some of the highest we’ve ever seen in multiple areas of collecting, it demonstrates the strong appetite that exists in the hobby,” said Brian Dwyer, President of REA. “This auction had items that dated as far back as 1887 and as recent as 2019 and we saw heavy interest across the board, which is a tremendous barometer for the industry.”
REA’s next event is its June Encore Auction that runs June 8-18. You can view the remainder of REA’s 2023 auction schedule and check out its array of consignor stories on its website.
If you’d like to receive one of REA’s Summer Catalogs, email [email protected]. The deadline to consign graded cards for REA’s Summer Catalog Auction is Monday, June 5.
About Robert Edward Auctions
Robert Edward Auctions (REA) is one of the leading auction houses in the US specializing in sports and non-sports cards and memorabilia. For more than 30 years, REA has established a reputation as the industry benchmark through its unparalleled and unwavering commitment to integrity, knowledge and transparency. The Company has brokered some of the most lucrative sales and handled some of the most coveted pieces of sports memorabilia in the hobby’s history, including the record-setting sale of the extremely desirable T206 Honus Wagner card for $6.6 million in August 2021. For more information, visit https://robertedwardauctions.com/ and follow REA on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter. You can also contact us and request our auction catalog by emailing [email protected].
M: (973) 255-7153